Sunday, February 28, 2010

Half Marathon Training - Week 5, Day 1

I was hoping to get a trail run in today but I couldn't find out what the conditions of Cottonwood Trail was after all the rain washed out the majority of the trails about 3-4 weeks ago. I didn't want to do another long run on asphalt since my hip flexor was really bothering me yesterday's run. So instead of 5 miles, I did a fast 2 mile out & back run, just to get something in today. And plus my 10K race is Saturday (day 4) so I should still get in 10-12 miles this week.

I started out at a comfortable 10:40+ pace for the first 1/2 mile and then increased the pace and intensity as I ran the remaining 1.5 miles. My first mile was 10:40, about 10 secs slower than my 5K race pace at about 60-70% effort. Once I hit the 1 mile mark, I turned around and increased the pace to around 70-80% of max effort. With 1/2 mile left to go, I put it into 80-90% effort and mile 2 averaged a 9:22 pace.

Today's Workout: 5 miles - Easy
Today's Weather:  48°F Sunny, Winds N 13 mph

No comments:

Post a Comment