Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Half Marathon Training - Week 5, Day 2

On Monday, I did go for a 5 mile bike ride which felt really great. I haven't been on my bike much plus it's a commuter bike but I did pretty good. The first uphill was really hard but it seemed like the hills did get a little easier each time. Averaged 10.7 mph so I'm pretty happy about that. I hope to incorporate a lot more cycling once warmer weather finally gets here and to start swimming more this summer.

I started out with a 10 min warmup at a very easy pace which went really well. In fact, I had trouble keeping my speed down. Then I did 3 x 6 min tempo intervals at 5k race pace (10:59 - 10:00) while focusing on my breathing. The recovery jog were between 12:30 - 11:30. I felt really good for the first 2 intervals but the last interval got really tough since the wind decided then it was going to pick up. It was nearly calm or at my back the entire run until the last 10 mins. But by doing the fast/slow intervals, I am able to average my 10k goal pace.

My plan for the 10k is to run a consistent 11:30 - 11:00 pace throughout the entire race with maybe 3 or 4 short 1 minute walking breaks. I'm excited but somewhat nervous being this is my first 10K and the largest event I have done with over 1,000 runners.

Today's Workout - 10 min warmup, 3x6 min tempo, 4 min recovery
Weather: 45°F, Cloudy, Winds NNW 12 mph

No comments:

Post a Comment