Friday, February 19, 2010

Back on Track, Sort Of

It's been 5 days since I went on my last run which was a slow and painful 3 miles. The last few days I have suffered from severe lower back pain which I think was in part of trying to walk my brother's 90 lbs German Shepherd. It wasn't her pulling but her stopping suddenly that I think did it in for me and then the tugging to get her moving again.

Tuesday, I decided to give inline skating a go for the first time in probably over 5 years. That helped worked my glutes and thighs while keeping my back from hurting as much. In fact, I think it helped loosen it up. I'm definitely going to incorporate more inline skating as a form of cross-training along with cycling once the weather warms up.

But today, I decided to try a short and easy 5k run on my normal neighborhood loop. I started the first mile at what I felt was a very easy pace only to realize I clocked a 10:39 first mile, must faster than my usual "easy pace". I felt really good and had no lower back pain so I kept going only to clock an even faster 10:07 2nd mile. At 2.3 miles, I hit the first steep uphill and decided to just walk up it and for a little while to catch my breath some. With 1/2 mile left to go, I started jogging again, this time clocking a slower 11:13 third mile. With about .2 miles left to go, I started to get a painful side stitch which prevented me from finishing strong as I normally do but to my surprise, I finished in 33:01, just 34 secs slower than my 5K personal record and I wasn't even trying to run fast! It felt good to get a great run in, especially since the last week and half hasn't gone as plan.

Then when my husband got home from work, we went on a 1.5 mile walk around the block so I got in a total of 4.6 miles today. Woohoo!

I'm planning to get back on my half marathon training on Sunday and with temps expected to be in the low 60s, I'm super excited!

Today's Workout: 5K Run - Easy Pace
Weather: 55°F, Sunny, Winds NNE 8mph

No comments:

Post a Comment