Thursday, April 12, 2012

Running Intervals

Started out with a 6 min warm up walk with seat kicks and high knees to get loose. Everything was tight...calves, hips, quads, ankles, etc. so I wanted to spend a little extra time making sure my body was ready to run.

Then I started running and felt pretty good so I ran 4 mins averaging a 9:04 pace. Recovered with a 2 min walk to the bottom of the steep hill then ran up it (9:04 pace in 37 secs). By the top I got to the top, I could barely breathe so I took another 2 min recovery walk. Decided from that point on to just alternate 60 secs fast running with 60 secs of walking.

My average pace for the 1 min run intervals were 9:05, 10:00, 9:11, 8:20, 8:26, 8:18, 8:15, 7:40 and 7:50 although the last 6 were slightly downhill which is why for the sudden drop in pace between the 3rd and 4th interval but still it was a nice progression to get my legs used to running fast again.

Then I wanted to simulate Saturday's race course which has a long gradual uphill finish so I did an easy jog down a gradual hill then a fast uphill finish at 9:18 pace the last quarter mile.

Overall: 3.32 miles in 41:40 (12:24 average pace)

Run intervals only: 2.12 miles in 18:55 (8:55 average pace)

So I think my game plan for Saturday's 5K will be to start out with a 5 min moderate jog to let the field spread out a bit before I start my 2 min run / 1 min walk intervals trying to stay under a 9 min pace for the run intervals and just see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment