Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tempo Run - Out & Backs

Today's Workout: 4 x 2 min Out & Back

Warm up  - .60 mi - 7:03 (11:41 pace)

Out #1 - 0.2 (9:46 pace)
Back in 1:54 (8:54 pace)

Out #2 - 0.2 (10:07 pace)
Back in 1:59 (9:52 pace)

Out #3 - Didn't even make it 30 secs before experiencing the worst cramp in my calf.

Cool down - .7 mi - walked or should I say limped home.

I knew this evening's workout was going to be very hot so I prepared by drinking lots of water throughout the day and eating a banana at 4:30 pm. When I got home, I drank another 10-12 ounces of water while sitting out on the back porch and then a couple of swigs of gatorade. I waited about 10 mins then headed out the door. I walked for 5 mins before I even hit start on my garmin to begin my warmup jog with seat kicks and high knees to get loosened up.

I felt okay, a little slow going at first but once I got up the first hill, I was fine. I then proceeded to start with my out & backs. I took them a little more slower than usual and felt pretty good on the first two despite being really tired and soaked in sweat. I then proceeded on with the 3rd out and that's when it hit just out of the blue, the worst calf cramp I have ever experienced while running. No warning whatsoever. My legs felt great one second and then a charlie horse cramp the next. I fell to the ground and tried to massage my calf but it seemed like forever until the pain finally subsided. I did my best to stretch it out and then begun the slow walk home knowing I was done for the day.

It's so frustrating when you do everything you can to prepare your body for a workout and it still fails you! I guess I'm going to have to go back to drinking vitamin water revive or gatorade in addition to water during the day. Just like past summers, plain water alone doesn't do much for me when it starts getting hot and humid.

No comments:

Post a Comment