Sunday, July 17, 2011

What's Next?

I keep going back and forth on whether or not to do triathlons and have came to the conclusion, yes, I'll continue doing triathlons but they will not be a priority or a "key" race. They will be soley for fun and for that extra challenge that running or cycling alone will never compare to. I'll probably stick to sprint distances races and don't really have any desire to do anything longer than that at this point.

What's next? Well for me, it's my original running goal to complete a half marathon. I trained and registered for the Greer Earth Day Half Marathon in April only to injure my back the day before the race and had to pull out (actually ran the 5K since I wasn't about to waste my money). So yea, I'm more determined than ever to complete that goal now. My target race is the Spinx Half Marathon in October in Greenville and half marathon training starts on Tuesday!

It will be nice sticking to one sport again and using the other sports as cross-training. Trying to be great at all three takes a lot of dedication, motivation, discipline and hard work which just made "training" something I dreaded rather than enjoyed. So it will be welcoming to only have to focus on running for the next 15 months.

My training plan will closely follow Holly DiGivoine's half marathon plan. I have made some slight modifications to it to fit my running style, mostly with the long runs but the speed and tempo intervals I pretty much kept as written.

This Week's Training (7/18 - 7/24):


  • Tuesday - Speed run - 7 x 60 sec strides with 2 min recovery

  • Wednesday - Strength training - 45 mins

  • Thursday - Tempo run - 6 x 2 min with 2 min recovery

  • Weekend - Long run - 10K using run/walk intervals

No comments:

Post a Comment