Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Last week of Beginner 5K Training

I’m on the final week of iRUN's 10-week Beginner’s 5K Training Program. It’s similar to the couch to 5K as it has you walking more than running in the first several weeks and slowly decreasing the walking intervals and increasing the running intervals in the latter weeks. I have one more workout remaining and that is Wednesday’s 44 min run (run 8 mins, walk 3 mins, repeat 4x) before Saturday’s Back to School 5K at the Middle Tyger YMCA in Spartanburg, SC which I’m not sure I’ll even enter. It really depends on the weather. I haven’t be doing well on high humidity days at all so if it’s humid, I probably won’t enter. If I don’t, I won’t have to wait long for the next 5K, just 3 weeks later on August 29 is the Colon Cancer Awareness 5K at Duncan Park in Spartanburg, SC, the same course as the Run for Scouting 5K I did back in early May. So it will be a more accurate test to see how much I have progressed in 4 months.

I really have no idea where I am with my training since the weather has played an big factor. I can take the heat but this humidity, not so well. If it’s humid, I get nauseous and dizzy during and after my run regardless of how well I hydrate and whether I drink water or Gatorade. Me and humidity just don’t get along very well. I think the real test will come in September and October and to see how well I do during the cooler months.

Next week I’ll be starting the Intermediate 5K Program which consists of tempo runs, fartleks (that’s speed work for you non-runners), hill work and fun runs. I’m also planning on returning to karate as part of my cross training. I took a 3 month leave from karate to give my hip a rest from all the kicking, I was in so much pain at one point, that it hurt to walk so I probably won’t do much if any kicking in class which means my black belt pretest is pretty much on hold for the time being. But, I’m not going to worry about it too much as my most important thing right now is to stay active and to stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment